#StackBounty: #gnome #vnc #windows-subsystem-for-linux #tightvncserver Default Ubuntu Desktop with TightVnc and Windows Linux Subsystem

Bounty: 50

I have successfully installed WLS (ubuntu 18) on windows 10 machine. I want to access its UI features using TightVnc. With default settings the .vnc/xstartup contains the following lines

xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
#x-terminal-emulator -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
#x-window-manager &
# Fix to make GNOME work
export XKL_XMODMAP_DISABLE=1
/etc/X11/Xsession

and I can connect to it using Tight vnc viewer from windows but the UI looks like
enter image description here
But, I want to use the default desktop that ships with Ubuntu 18. I installed gnome and changed xstartup file to the following (suggested by someone on the web)

#!/bin/sh

#Uncommment this line if using Gnome and your keyboard mappings are incorrect.
#export XKL_XMODMAP_DISABLE=1

# Load X resources (if any)
if [ -r "$HOME/.Xresources" ]
then
        xrdb "$HOME/.Xresources"
fi

gnome-session --disable-acceleration-check --session=ubuntu &

But when I start vncserver after making these changes, I am able to connect but it shows a grey screen with no visual controls like
enter image description here
Please note that I had no .Xresources file on my machine so I created an empty one manually but it made no difference. Below is the output of ls /usr/share/xsessions

ubuntu-communitheme-snap.desktop  ubuntu.desktop  xfce.desktop

I can see some errors in .vnc/CS-63341DT:5.log file. Below are the contents of this file

05/04/19 12:49:17 Xvnc version TightVNC-1.3.10
05/04/19 12:49:17 Copyright (C) 2000-2009 TightVNC Group
05/04/19 12:49:17 Copyright (C) 1999 AT&T Laboratories Cambridge
05/04/19 12:49:17 All Rights Reserved.
05/04/19 12:49:17 See http://www.tightvnc.com/ for information on TightVNC
05/04/19 12:49:17 Desktop name 'X' (CS-63341DT:5)
05/04/19 12:49:17 Protocol versions supported: 3.3, 3.7, 3.8, 3.7t, 3.8t
05/04/19 12:49:17 Listening for VNC connections on TCP port 5905
Font directory '/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/' not found - ignoring
Font directory '/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/' not found - ignoring
gnome-session-binary[1645]: WARNING: Using null backend for session tracking
_IceTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root
GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/home/adeel/.cache/keyring-FKBRZZ
GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/home/adeel/.cache/keyring-FKBRZZ
GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/home/adeel/.cache/keyring-FKBRZZ
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/home/adeel/.cache/keyring-FKBRZZ/ssh
Window manager warning: Unsupported session type
gnome-session-binary[1645]: WARNING: App 'org.gnome.Shell.desktop' exited with code 1
Window manager warning: Unsupported session type
gnome-session-binary[1645]: WARNING: App 'org.gnome.Shell.desktop' respawning too quickly
gnome-session-binary[1645]: CRITICAL: We failed, but the fail whale is dead. Sorry....

What can I do to make default ubuntu 18 deskto work with TightVnc viewer from windows?

Get this bounty!!!