On my Lenovo S340 Ideapad with Xubuntu 19.10, I’m having a strange issue with my touchpad, apparently a ‘MSFT0001:02 04F3:304B Touchpad’ using a Synaptics driver. For no reason that I can find, the touchpad sometimes loses its ability to move the mouse. Despite this:
- The touchpad can still left-click and right-click.
- The keyboard works as normal.
- The mouse works fine on the lock screen (reached via the terminal); issues only return after an unlock.
- Logging out and back in fixes the problem.
- No method of disabling and renabling the touchpad that I know of fixes the problem. For example, I’ve had no success with
sudo modprobe psmouse,
sudo modprobe -r psmouse, or the otherwise-working Fn+F6.
- Of what is listed here, I have not tried
sudo rmmod psmouseor installing the Synaptics program.
- To memory, gestures still work.
- I know of no gestures that could cause this.
Where can I investigate this problem further? Is there a less extreme temporary solution than logging out?