I was trying to set up my Gmail account to send email using my outlook account. However, as I try to set things up using the instruction given here, I always get an authentication error.
This is what I did:
- On my computer, I opened Gmail.
- In the top right, I clicked
Settings Settingsand then
See all settings.
- I clicked the
Accounts and importtab.
- In the
Send mail assection, I clicked
Add another email address.
- I entered my name and the address I want to send from.
- I clicked
- Then I filled up the SMTP server (found here) and the username and password on that account.
- Then I clicked
- At this point I get the following authentication error.
I have tried the above steps several times but I always get the same error (leaving aside missed upload deadline error a few times).
This is strange since I can log in to my outlook web account using the same credentials without any error.
However, trying to authenticate from the command line using telnet shows the following error. It may be noted that I have not yet reached the state of providing my credentials.
I am rather clueless at this moment.